Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:16:41 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: proxy ARP on ethernet??

<<On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:01:20 -0500 (EST), "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM> said:

>[I wrote:]
>> No you should not be able to do so.  It might be possible, but only
>> because of insufficient error checking in the kernel.

> 	Proxy arping with packet forwarding having two interfaces on the same
> subnet is not supposed to be a valid option?  I've know a lot of people to do
> this when the provider has hubs that only allow one mac address per port...

IP addresses name interfaces, not hosts.  It is not valid to assign
the same IP address to two interfaces.  (We actually sort-of support a
configuration called a ``half-router'' where this is not true, but
only one of the interfaces can be multiple-access; the others have to
be point-to-point.  I would just as soon not support this either, but
enough people use it to make desupporting in politically impossible.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.