Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:38:58 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD10 - changes with "Umlauts"?

Hi,

After setting up a new system (FreeBSD10) I'm trying to get "Umlauts"
to display correctly both on the console and under X11, including
X11-clients.

Over various FreeBSD releases I worked with the following configuration:

/etc/ttys:
console none                            cons25l1        off secure
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25l1        on  secure

In order to get the correct locale settings for users they have a
setting like this in their

~/.bash_profile:
export LC_CTYPE=de_AT.ISO8859-15

Just for completeness, here's what I got in

/etc/rc.conf:
keymap="german.iso.acc.kbd"

2) Umlauts work under X11 and clients (emacs, firefox,...)
3) When accessing the box via ssh from "putty" with "UTF-8" set in
   putty:
   small caps umlauts work
   caps umlauts don't work

I've also experimented with setting "LC_CTYPE=de_AT.UTF-8" but that
only made matters worse

So here are my questions:

o) Has anything changed wrt umlaut characters from FreeBSD9 to FreeBSD10?
o) Shouldn't setting "UTF-8" work with umlauts in all cases?
o) Any ideas on how to get umlaut characters to work in every case, i.e.
   -) console
   -) X11
   -) putty session (ssh)

Thanks much in advance for your help,