Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:10:25 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Lars Koeller <Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de> freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conclusion: Seagate Python firmware and hanging SCBs on 2940!

----------

Hi!

 > This is the most ridiculous piece of email I've seen in a while.

Great! Do you read all the Email in Dejanews?

 > The point of Linux && FreeBSD is that the software can be changed
 > by you. Since the Python drives are quite functional on quite
 > a number of systems, including ones you have to pay real money for,
 > stating that you should "never use the Python and the Adaptec
 > controller on any FreeBSD or Linux" system seems unfriendly, at best.

Sure, on Windows it's o.k. On a NCR 815 is's o.k. But I use a
Adaptec 2940 now, and the HP1533A at the same SCSI bus works very
well, and when the Python should be SCSI-2 conform, it has to work,
too.

I have two Adaptec (2940U and 2940UW) and a total of 8 devices, which
are all running well, I've also tested more than 6 other SCSI disks,
some 5 years old, no problem!

The Seagate gives me a DOS (ASPI) testprog, which writes 5MB onto the
DAT to check if it's working, and this is a very week test in my eyes!

The hanging of SCB depends on the software you use. Tar seems to work
most, dump gives somtimes probems, and a backup software with a
highly optimized buffer queuing system seem to fail always!!!!

However. Other people have the same problems, and I only want to
bring them onto this path, so they have a chance to avoid this
problems!

Something else ridiculous?

Regards

Lars
--
E-Mail:                                     |  Lars Koeller
  Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE              |  UNIX Sysadmin