Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:58:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from a not-very-current current

In message <14423.16952.518144.298755@celery.zuhause.org> Bruce Albrecht writes:
: I know that I need to build the tools for config, and build a new
: kernel, and reboot it before doing a make world.  My question is,
: after booting the new kernel, do I run MAKEDEV immediately, or do I run
: make world before runnning MAKEDEV?  Would it be prudent to disable
: softupdates until after I'm done upgrading?

I'd do the MAKEDEV stuff, as described in UPDATING, before you did the
reboot for the make world.  It likely doesn't matter much, but you are
better off safe than sorry.

: Would it be simpler to install from the latest -current snap?

Maybe.

Warner