Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:20:31 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel ISP1100 or similar 1U experience with 4.3 stable

>In a message dated 07/10/2001 11:54:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dg@root.com
>writes
>
>Its generally a bad idea to house a multi-processor system in a 1U enclosure,
>as there isnt enough cooling space and 3/4" fans are simply not powerful
>enough. Unless space is ridiculously scarce, you can get much better cooling
>and reliability with a 2U unit.

   In fact there are other considerations as well, namely the power supply,
which is typically not all that beefy in 1U systems. For both of these
reasons and others, our current 1U offering, although using an MP motherboard,
can only be ordered with one CPU. We've recently improved the cooling in
our 1U server with very powerful 40mm fans that will cool an MP system
more than adequately, but the power supply issue still remains. We should
have a solution for that as well in a few weeks.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.