Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:27:42 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, Dag-Erling Coidan Smrgrav <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Subject:   Re: Hacking Furiously for the Desktop Contest

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> So I'd love to see an approach, where people think, what
> functionality a Unix Desktop has to offer
>         - what client programs

it would be absolutely excellent if there was a common interface that
ports of window managers could provide to add and remove programs from
their menu (in most cases a perl or shell script would be quite enough)
- other ports/pkgs could gradually be converted over, coupled with an
X-based package installer it would give a more user-friendly mechanism
for downloading and installing applications than Microsoft has.