Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:29:11 -0400
From:      Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   Re: Install from a USB Pen (semi OT)
References:  <a5f2f3950907130502x729f4dfbq23110234fbab4095@mail.gmail.com> <4A5BEABB.6070802@a1poweruser.com> <e277d6c80907140154u1b511f00ua4147a075d12b20b@mail.gmail.com> <4A5D6453.3060100@a1poweruser.com> <e277d6c80907150852y2183f12ex90b6d324709053a1@mail.gmail.com> <4A5E876C.8000804@a1poweruser.com> <e277d6c80907152025u2255e1bet7d005ece655321f5@mail.gmail.com> <4A602684.4030205@a1poweruser.com> <4A614478.5080400@a1poweruser.com> <1248115701.17503.53.camel@bauer.cse.buffalo.edu>

On Jul 20, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Ken Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 11:41 +0800, Fbsd1 wrote:
>
>> Took 3 times longer to download the 8.0-BETA1-i386-memstick.img
>> that to
>> download the 8.0-BETA1-i386-disc1.iso. I suggest you look into
>> another
>> method of creating the memstick.img so it downloads faster. dd does
>> no
>> compression of the data.
>
> You're comparing apples to oranges here to some extent.  disc1 isn't
> compressed either.  The reason the memstick is larger is that it
> contains more stuff than disc1.  That extra stuff is usually
> referred to
> as "livefs" and having that allows the memstick to be used in "Fixit"
> mode - you can boot off the memstick and enter into sysinstall's
> "Fixit"
> menu item which in turn you can use to get to a usable shell that has
> all the normal FreeBSD base system utilities available.  That
> functionality can be useful for recovering a machine from mistakes.
>
> The CDROM media has a separate livefs.  We needed to separate them out
> because of size issues on the CDROM media - the contents of disc1 plus
> the contents needed from the livefs disc to make it work in Fixit mode
> are too big for our target CDROM media size (700Mb).  The DVD media
> contains both so DVDs can be used for this 'Fixit' mode as well.
>
> If you're going to use download time as any sort of evaluation of the
> memstick's merit you need to compare the speed of downloading it
> versus
> the speed of downloading both disc1 and livefs.  Though I'm not quite
> sure why that's any measure of the memstick's merit.
>
> I think I've settled on the memstick images containing what was
> provided
> with BETA2, which will be the installation bits from disc1, the livefs
> bits, and just the packages that make up the documentation.  Put a
> slightly different way it's the contents of the DVD minus all packages
> except for the documentation packages.  That's my best guess on the
> trade-off of size versus functionality that would benefit the most
> end-users.
>
>> Using a 8gb memstick as the target to install 8.0 on took 2 times
>> longer
>> than disc1 cd installing to same 8gb memstick.
>
> This shouldn't come as too big a surprise, for *typical* machines
> things
> slow down a bit if you're using the same I/O subsystem for both reads
> and writes.  I'm guessing your CD isn't USB.  Even if it is, you're
> again comparing apples to oranges to a large degree here.  If a speed
> comparison is important to you here then compare the speed of
> installing
> from the memstick we provide versus one you create with your script
> from
> disc1.  I'd be surprised if installing from the one you created using
> your script was faster than the memstick we provide.

> [...]

Just curious, but is there an easy way to get all of this onto the pen
in the first place? I missed the origin of the thread.

Thanks,
m.