Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:44:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      robdefriesse@mail.com (Rob deFriesse)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compatibility of Promise Ultra100 (ATA100) and CDROM

I have installed a Promise Ultra100 with a ATA100 hard drive.  I tried
to attach my rather old CDROM drive to the same cable but it just lay
there and whimpered when I tried to access it.  (More precisely the
drive spun up and activity light flashed but nothing much else
happened.)

Does anyone know, should I expect this from an older drive?  Will
newer CDROM drives perform correctly on this controller?  What should
I look for in the drive specifications before I buy a new drive?

BTW, I have these lines in my kernel config:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
#device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
#device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
#device		atapifd			# ATAPI floppy drives
#device		atapist			# ATAPI tape drives
#options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
options 	ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA	#Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

Thank you,
Rob.