Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:50:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

In article <local.mail.freebsd-advocacy/199907130029.TAA23612@hostigos.otherwhen.com> you write:
>On 13 Jul 99, at 8:32, Sue Blake wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:01:46PM -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
>
>> > It appears you are making a joke of it. FreeBSD could come up with
>> > programs for different areas of proficiency. Each with its own
>> > certification. It may not go far right away, but down the road, as with
>> > most good products, it would succeed.
>
>> And who will pay for this to be developed?
>
>It kinda depends.... if all we want is certification, it's cheap and easy.
> If we want it to *MEAN SOMETHING*, then it'll be harder.
>
>Still, the training courses and testing are two different aspects.  I
>suspect generating the tests would be fairly easy..... and the
>questions on them can be validated in a few hundred test cycles so a
>short, valid, test could be administered....

*cough* *cough*

You've never done this before, have you?  Generating and validating
the test is the _hard_ part.  Calculating the reliability and validity
of the test, using factor analysis to weed out the useless questions,
and insure that scores wind up with a normal distribution takes a while.

I asked a professional (my wife, actually, :-), and she said that
it would take a minimum of a year to develop a reliable test.  The
curriculum is the easy part.

As to different areas of proficiency, you're absolutely right.  There
wouldn't be "one" test, but different tests based on what skillsets
you were looking for, and what the goal of the test was.

Yes, I was half kicking around the idea of seriously doing this.  However,
1) the test would not be free, and 2) I wonder whether there really is
a market for this or not.
--
Jonathan