Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:10:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        root@narcissus.ml.org
Cc:        Snob Art Genre <brosenga@calvin.pitzer.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, JBH <jbh@netpci.com>
Subject:   Re: tcsh apparently failing to run .cshrc

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, JBH wrote:

[...]
>	On the only account on which I was able to see this directly,
>there was an additional problem.  I su'd to that account and found that I
>was unable to read or write its files!  I logged in as root on another vty

While there are a number of possible reasons for this, I'd check the
following things:

1.  Is their home directory correctly specified in /etc/master.passwd
?

2.  Are their permissions set properly so that they can read their own
files, including .cshrc?  This seems like it might be a problem, since
if root copies a file, the copy should be owned by root, but with
global read permissions.  You might want to see if .cshrc is something
like mode 000 (no one can read it), since root will successfully
ignore this.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/