Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:19:24 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Gerald Beisch <b1@ncn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd Installation

> Gerald Beisch wrote:
>
> I currently am a user of Windows95 and am looking for something
> better.

	Ok, step one into your windows-free world, please don't send
html-encoded mail to public lists. A lot of people can't or won't read
it, so your questions will go unanswered.

> Trying to install this OS is very difficult without having either some
> prior
> of BSD or Unix. While install directions may seem pretty simple I
> believe they are
> hard to follow.

	First question, which documents did you read?  If you haven't already
go to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE and read all of
the *.TXT documents. After you read those if you still have questions,
please write to me privately since I am working on improving those
documents.

> I have downloaded  all bin, doc, man, and src files to
> hard and
> floppy disks. The problem comes in while trying to reboot with a valid
> kernel,

	I'm not sure what you might have read that would suggest that this is
the way to install FreeBSD, but I think I can safely say that we've
identified your problem. :) The docs that I referred to above will
probably help you a lot.

> I have read and reread all pertinent info with little added
> help. Are there any books that
> show exactly when and where and how to make all necessary inputs to
> get the system up and running or other sources short of buying a
> cdrom.

	There is an excellent book available on getting started with FreeBSD,
it's called "The Complete FreeBSD, Second Edition" and it's by Greg
Lehey. You can order it from your local bookstore or visit
http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet