Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:14:47 -0700
From:      Ravi Pokala <rp_freebsd@mac.com>
To:        "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What's the state of AF-4Kn support?

Hi folks,

AF-4Kn drives (4096-byte blocks, logical as well as physical) have been on
the HDD vendors' enterprise roadmaps for years and years, but now we're
starting to get samples, so it's time to start testing. :-S

What does 4Kn support look like in -HEAD? I know UFS's defaults (32KB
blocks / 4KB fragments) are 4Kn-friendly, and that `gpart' handles
alignment properly. What about direct drive I/O (i.e. do the device
drivers do the proper read/modify/write stuff if you try to write a
partial block)? What about the bootstrap code; I've looked at pmbr.s and
gptboot.c, and it's not clear if they DTRT in the face of 4Kn drives.

Also, what about 9-STABLE?

(My apologies if this is all documented somewhere; I looked around for a
bit, but couldn't find it, so a pointer to TFM for me to R would be great.)

Thanks!

--rp