Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:54:01 +0200
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        alex@astro.su.se
Subject:   Re: Linksys PCMCIA

+ Alexey Koptsevich <alex@astro.su.se>:

| Hello,
|
| I see that "LINKSYS EtherFast 10/100" is supported by PAO.
| But Linksys offers at least 4 such cards:
|
| PCMPC100 - EtherFast 10/100 PCMCIA Card
| http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=41&grid=11

I can at least tell you that the above works, since I use it in my own
Dell 3500.  I run just plain vanilla 4.1-RELEASE.

I have run into one problem at home though:  When I connect my
stationary PC (also running 4.1-RELEASE) and the laptop back-to-back,
file transfers from laptop to stationary works fine, but the other way
I get 20-30% packet loss and correspondingly horrible transfer times
if I run at 100 Mbit/s.  If I force the network card on the stationary
PC to 10 Mbit/s the Linksys card follows suit automatically, and all
is well.  At work the problem does not yet appear because our network
is still mostly 10 Mbit/s.

I have come to believe that the problem is not so much the high bit
rate, but rather the arrival of data at a rate of several packets per
millisecond, possible with a buffer overflowing somewhere, or
interrupts getting lost, or whatever the heck.  For if I run a ping -f
against the machine, virtually no packets are lost.

Maybe there is a way to artificially slow the sender down a bit, so
this does not happen?  I wonder if the problem would go away if the
laptop declared a smaller TCP window, for example.  Except I don't
know how to tell it to do so.  Any other tricks?

- Harald