Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:31:32 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

Joshua Tinnin writes:

> I agree that FreeBSD can help such people, and in fact that's how I
> discovered it, while looking for a decent server OS for a home project.
> However, what you don't mention here is that Joe or Jane really needs a
> static IP. Most of the time this means upgrading their account. If a
> number of other people use the account at the same time, or if
> bandwidth usage is heavy on that line for other reasons, then it means
> getting a separate account so that the bandwidth needed for the server
> won't be used up. The $35/mo. doesn't make much of a difference when
> you're looking at the problems involved, and it may in fact cost less
> than trying to host it yourself. A client of mine pays $100/yr. for
> *nix hosting for a site I created. If I were to host it for him it
> would cost me more than that, and I'd have to charge him a lot more, as
> I'd need a second line here. And a top-notch server with a maximum of
> 786Kbit (not byte) up is going to hit the bandwidth wall before it even
> needs to be top-notch.

By far the biggest problem with running one's own server today is paying
for the Internet access.  Home and SOHO Internet bandwidth is
dramatically overpriced, and ISPs provide very poor service to people
running a business over broadband from home, even when they are paying
for a "professional" account.

Ultimately the limiting factor on what one can do with one's own server
is the amount of money one is prepared to pay each month in telecom
charges.

--
Anthony