Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:42:13 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        mwhitley@borg.proceon.com, billf@jade.chc-chimes.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Legato and Freebsd

At 1.5 million for an unlimited license, the people at Legato
are not just "assholes" but arrogant as hell too.
Their product is not that complicated, and it seems to me
at least, that they deserve a good dose of open source
competition.
I use Legato products because management bought it. Not
because I think they are the best at what they do.  They are
pretty good at marketing.  And I guess Bill Gates said it best
"Success is making smart people think they need you".
....if only there was something else....

{{{{{caution dumb sig follows}}}}}

Good judgment comes from experience.=20
And where does experience come from?=20
Experience comes from bad judgment.
=20
Mark Twain

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Mike Whitley wrote:

> etc.), but on backup I receive the following error
> in the backup details on the Sun:
>=20
> RAP error, ClientPak for UNIX enabler does not exist in=20
> the system (severity 5, number 12)

Legato is a group of assholes. Essentially, you have to pay a one time
fee for going 'cross-platform' (different platform server then client.)

It is just their way of raping you even more then the $300 you already
paid per-client.

Call Cathy Won at 650-812-6151 and tell her you think it sucks that
you have to pay another $2000 for an unsupported, unofficial client.
I sure did.

Tell your sales rep too.

BTW - If you had an NT server (like I do) and FreeBSD clients (like me)
you have to pay this fee too.

--=20
- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -