Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:05:38 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        gerti-freebsdq@bitart.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing based on source IP?

In the last episode (Aug 14), Mike Meyer said:
> Gerd Knops writes:
> > Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > Note that for protection purposes, source routing is generally
> > > frowned on, as it's to easily forged. You throw out packets from
> > > the outside world claiming to come from the inside world, and
> > > otherwise don't trust the source.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, what I want isn't necessarily the same
> > as the frowned upon 'source routing' (though I might be wrong).
>
> The key words are "for protection purposes". If you're trying to do
> this to keep hostile users from doing something, it won't work very
> well. If you're trying to do load or cost balancing or some such,
> then it's not "for protection purposes". Just remember that forging
> source addresses is pretty trivial, so if someone wants to avoid
> this, they will.

He's not talking about source routing, though.  Source routing means
embedding routing information in a packet to try and force an
intermediate router to route that packet differently.  Gerd just has
two interfaces on his box, and he wants to be be able to select which
interface a particular packet is going to go out on, based on its
source address.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com