Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:26:27 +0900
From:      Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
To:        hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

	hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi) writes:

> At least, *I* haven't moved to newconfig and neutral about it.  I
> agree that new bus architecture is disired.  But I have little
> knowledge about the technical differences between newconfig and
> new-bus.  Somebody can explain it briefly?

  I am one of developers of newconfig, so I can not fairly evaluate
difference between newconfig and new-bus. Instead of it, please let me
explain why we are developing newconfig.

  Newconfig was derived from an opinion that there were not enough
framework of device configuration in FreeBSD (at least in those days).
We decided that we don't do temporary workarounds, and should reform
basis of the devices.  There were some people (including me) who ports
drivers from NetBSD to FreeBSD for PAO.  They were aware of elegant
device framework of NetBSD, so we tried to port it to FreeBSD.

  After we began the project, we were notified another framework
"new-bus". Then we discussed which we should change to new-bus or not.
We decided not to adopt new-bus. (If you can read Japanese, you can
read the discussion archive
http://www.jp.freebsd.org/mail-list/newconfig-jp/199806-month.html )

The reasons (which I understand) are:

	* We already have a framework "subr_autoconf.c".
	  It is not needed to invent new wheel.
	* new-bus does not provide to "priority probe" feature.
	* new-bus remains old config(8) and old bus such as ISA.
	  What we need is the reformation of them, so we can not
	  adopt it.
	* There is no framework to separate bus-dependent part
	  of a driver from bus-independent part in new-bus,
	  but newconfig has. Many PC-card driver shares core code from
	  another buses, so we reuqire such a framework.
	* new-bus scatters device tree structure informations into
	  each driver codes. Aproach to center the informations is better
	  than scatter it. (Please imagine "LINT" file informations are
	  scattered to each driver.)
--
furuta@sra.co.jp (Atsushi Furuta)
   Advanced Technology Group.  Software Research Associates, Inc.