Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:45:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jonathan E. Lyons wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Now that I have 3 FreeBSD machines on my network I've developed a nasty
> habbit. I tend to telnet around from machine to machine and sometimes
> (well, most of the time)lossing track of where I am. I've noticed on other
> linux machines/shells the host name is in the command line...Ie...
>
> You have new mail.
> #
>
> You have new mail.
> hostname-#
>
> Is this just a different shell or what?

Most shells can be configured to display whatever you want in the
prompt.
Type echo $SHELL to see what shell you've got installed.
I think Linux uses bash as a default.  You can install bash easily
as a port (probably also as a package) on FreeBSD.
Another shell where it's pretty easy to get the prompt you want
is tcsh, also easy to port.
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html explains the
installation of a new shell and something about setting the
prompt.

	Annelise