Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:55:37 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sendmail does bogus name lookups

I have a problem with sendmail hanging at boot time if my home network
is not connected to the outside world.  I have a machine with a modem
("a.nonet") which is running but not dialled up, and another machine
("b.nonet") which I am booting.  a is DNS master for the nonet domain,
b is a slave for it and forwards everything else to a.

b's resolv.conf contains a search path

  nonet a.b.c x.y.z

When b's sendmail starts, it sends requests to a for b.nonet.a.b.c,
and b.nonet.x.y.z, which hang if a is not dialled up.  Why is sendmail
trying to resolve these addresses, when b.nonet exists?  How do
I prevent this?

I think this problem started in FreeBSD 4.1.1, but I'm not certain of
that.

-- Richard