Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:31:49 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        <mattb@finsyn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp/ipfw rules

On 10/23/00, 8:22:04 PM, "Matt Bettinger" <mattb@finsyn.com> wrote=20
regarding ppp/ipfw rules:

> Hello,

> I am having a little trouble  setting up ipfw.  Does anyone have an=20
ipwf
> fules sketch that they use with user ppp.  I am connecting with kppp=20
and
> have read the  mostgrave concern and  the freebsd.org page and still=20
having
> some trouble.

Dear Matt Bettinger,

As a good exercise, you may wish to configure user ppp and kernel ppp.=20
Kppp reminds me of Win**** :-)

> basically all i want to allow are ssh connections and  identd 113 (for=
=20
irc?)
> I was searching the web and found a program called firestarter.  I=20
would
> much rather have a basic ipfw rules that someone has is using=20
currently.
> Actually that firestarteris for linux wondered if ther ewas anything=20
like
> that for FreeBsd.  (http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/faq.html)

> I do not have a problem adding the options to my kernel.. the problem =

> havew lie in the actual rules file so if anyone would be so gracious=20
as to
> point me in the direction as to where i may find a decent ipfw rules=20
file i
> would appreciate it.    It is just one machine on a dialup using an=20
external
> modem.  Thanks for any help.

> Matt

By the way, the freebsd site itself (http://www.freebsd.org), as well=20
as the mailing list archives, is a mine of information. You might want=20
to have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall and=20
at the ipfw(8) man pages.

HTH,
Salvo