Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 11:37:04 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: philosophical question...

--O98KdSgI27dgYlM5

On 2001-12-01 17:31 +0000, Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk> =
wrote:
> At 17:22 01/12/2001 +0100, Extended Laurent Fabre wrote:
> >Seems like an OpenBSD feature :P
> >
> >But from a security point of view, if an attacker can guess
> >the random seed, i can't see the protection offered...
> >It will just raise the number of brute force attacks...
>=20
>   Still, I have to agree that this sounds pretty OpenBSDish... looking at=
=20
> the BSDs as a whole I'd say it would make sense for this to be added into=
=20
> OpenBSD first and ported to FreeBSD once it has proved itself.

Aren't you both putting the cart before the horse?  Just because
OpenBSD bill themselves as particularly security-conscious doesn't
mean that nobody else is allowed to improve security.  I'd also
much rather be targeted with a brute-force attack against my malloc
than with the pinpoint accuracy that has compromised wu-ftpd and
dlmalloc.  Let's stop the empty rhetoric and concentrate on what
can help improve FreeBSD security.

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                  "I think not," said Descartes...
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org             and promptly disappeared.
http://www.zer0.org/~gsutter/     =20
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD     =20

--O98KdSgI27dgYlM5

--O98KdSgI27dgYlM5--