Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:31:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@versys.net>
To:        Ryan Davis <ryand@zenspider.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.4S -> 4.0S botched, can't build anything now

Ryan Davis wrote:

> buildworld worked fine.
>
> installworld failed.
>
> I followed the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING as best I could, but
> I still think it is conflicting on whether to build the kernel first
> or not. Doesn't matter, trying to build the kernel first failed,
> presumably because config has changed.
>
> I have gone through several phases:
>
> 1) The first and most innocent ended with:
>
> ===> lib/libcom_err/doc
> install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
> --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error
> Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
> install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming &
> development tools.'
>          Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
>
> I fixed this with something from the mail archives.
>
> 2) Next was the immediate coredump on any make:
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile", line 101: warning: "LC_TIME=C date" returned
> non-zero status
> *** Signal 12
>
> I figured out that /bin/sh would core. I copied /bin/bash over it and
> it worked fine.
>
> 3) Finally, after trying to clean up and rebuild:
>
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/byacc -> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/yacc
> cd /usr/src/usr.bin/colldef;  make obj;  make depend;  make all;  make install
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/usr.bin/colldef created for
> /usr/src/usr.bin/colldef
> yacc -d /usr/src/usr.bin/colldef/parse.y
> *** Signal 12
>
> I am stuck. The only thing I've found that is relevant to #3 is to cd
> to yacc's directory and make install, but I'm apparently not far
> enough in the general build anymore for that to work. The wierd thing
> is, unlike #2 where any use of /bin/sh would core, yacc works fine on
> the commandline.
>
> I am trying to restore from tape now to see if I can roll out the
> partial install until I get this under control. I am really
> disappointed in how bad this transition has been. I usually brag to
> linux bigots about how painless keeping up to date BSD is w/ cvsup
> and /usr/src.

Just dId the same today (cautiously) quite cleanly.
(Starting from 3.4R)

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
# make install
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# cd /usr/src/sys/modules
# make install
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# cd /usr/src
(Having edited my kernel config file "QUARTZ" while waiting for
buildworld to finish)
# make buildkernel KERNEL=QUARTZ
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# make installkernel KERNEL=QUARTZ
<BLAH>
# cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV ad0 (in my case)
# ./MAKEDEV ad0s2a (again in my case)
# vi /etc/fstab (change wd* to ad* entries)
# shutdown -r now

Rebooting and interupting the reboot

ok set boot_single
ok unload
ok load /QUARTZ
ok boot (I must admit I held my breath)

After booting and manually mounting the slices ...

# cd /usr/src
# make -DNOINFO installworld
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# make installworld
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# mergemaster -cv -t /usr/tmp/root-20000424
<BLAH BLAH BLAH>
# shutdown -r now

After fixing a couple of other things like snd devices and ethernet
devices it was a lot less tramatic than I was made to believe.

--
  Regards,

  Kevin G. Eliuk
  Technician | VerSys Communications Ltd. | http://www.versys.net