Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      StevenR362@aol.com
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

In a message dated 97-08-02 20:24:04 EDT, jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K.
Hubbard) writes:

> 1. TCL needs, *at some point* (and note that the current move was
>     rather premature, but let's not debate that here) to be part of
>     the base system so that the installation tools can use it.
>     We do intend on being heavy users of TCL, if not right this minute
>     then in the future.
>
>  2. If it were in ports, we'd have a build problem since you wouldn't
>     be able to build /usr/src/usr.sbin/setup (not existant yet, but
>     it will be) without first building and installing a port.  This
>     would break the world target.

  Basically, the same thing that was done recently with the Handbook and
it's tool dependencies needs to be done with the install tools.  You
move as much as is practical out of the /usr/src/release directories into a
separate hierarchy.  The new setup tool should be written in such a generic
data driven manner that it can install all existing versions of FreeBSD or
any future version by just updating some configuration files.  These files
can be put in /usr/share/examples just like cvsup does.

In fact, now that I think of it cvsup would be a great model for a
setup/install
tool.  Maybe you should twist John Polstra's arm to write the new setup tool
in Modula 3 ;) and No it should not be added to the base system.  Then we
can rip both perl and tcl out of the base system.

The true perl afficionados surely can't be using version 4.36 can they?
Nor does anything currently depend on tcl in the base system.  An
install/setup tool truly does not need to be part of the base system either.
It fits quite well in /stand and is very static for a specific release.

Again, cvsup is a perfect example of a crucial install/setup program that is
not part of the base system but is used to install multiple different FreeBSD
versions.

STeve