Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:38:46 +0100
From:      Martin Eggen <martin@copyleft.no>
To:        Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
Cc:        BSD NET-List <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bandwith limitation

[Clemens Hermann]
> Hi together,
>
> for quite a while I have been looking around for a way to limit the bandwith
> for each IP that accesses my server. I want to slow down any connektion
> to 128 KBit/s.
> The only thing I found was Dummynet in combination with ipfw. I am using
> ipf as firewall an for IP-accounting. It does a very good job and I
> really do not want to miss it. Is there any way besides dummynet to get
> bandwith limitation to run on my FreeBSD 4.2 box?

You might want to take a look at ALTQ[0] from the KAME people, or just use
ipfw with a default pass all rule (or IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_ACCEPT), so that
it's only used for bw limiting. (The packets will then first go through
ipfw, and then through ipf, IIRC).

[0] http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/software.html#ALTQ

--
Martin Eggen <martin@copyleft.no>