Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 16:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        JMS Internet <webmaster@jmsinternet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Slowdown

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Gary Palmer wrote:
> Although you say you bumped up your apache limits, I bet you're
> running across the hardcoded process limit. I think in apache.h there
> is a #define which hard-limits the number of processes in the code.
> That certainly seems to be your problem ... a fast connect and
> sleeping for a few seconds before returning the page.

Be very carefull about bumping maxclients too high as you will loose
performance rapidly if your machine starts paging it's brains out.  In high
load situtuation it's usually better to serialize the requests than to start
paging.  I regularly do consulting for apache servers having performance
problems, and over half the time it is a maxclients set to some outrageous
number like 1800!  Sure if you have more than 2GB of physical memory you may
get away with this but most of these machines had 256MB or 512MB.

I've already exchanged mail with the original poster, in this case it looks
like he was disk bound by the looks of the "vmstat 5" output he sent.  He
had two IDE drives in the system but one was used as a backup.  My advice
was to moved the logs to the second disk and see what that does to
performance.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
Steam Tunnel Operations |  a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty