Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 01:07:25 +0100
From:      John Toon <j.a.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared Memory Issues

Clive Lin wrote:

> Hm... long time ago I asked google about those SHM* and
> I thought SHMSEG may be the key point. Because SHMSEG stands for
> maximum number of shared segments per process.

Fantastic! You're absolutely correct. Everything is now working
perfectly. My mistake had been to think that the system was running out
of actual shared memory pages, but successive increases of the maximum
pages had no effect. The actual problem, as you've rightly pointed out,
was that each process was running out of shared memory segments...

Incidentally, how many pages does a segment in FreeBSD correspond to? 4?
16?

> Ask google ? It's really powerful...

I know ;^)

Google is considerably better than any other search engine...

> About the SYSV options, I have small notes about them. Though, I couldn't
> make sure they are 100% correct. It just works, and I have no more interests
> to dig more :->
>
> SHMALL max shared mem system wide (in pages).
> SHMMAX max shared memory segment size (bytes).
> SHMMIN min shared memory segment size (bytes).
> SHMMNI max num of shared segments system wide.
> SHMSEG maximum number of shared segments per process.
>
> Regards,
> Clive

Just as a side note, are there any commands available that will inform
me how many shared memory pages are currently being used by the running
system?

Thanks.

--
:s/Windows/UNIX