Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:48:45 +0200
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
To:        Frank de Bot <freebsd@searchy.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No free space add after removing large file

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:37:56PM +0200, Frank de Bot wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On my fs I had a file of 20gb. The free space on that fs was at that=20
> time around 1gb. But after removing the 20gb file, the freespace wasn't=
=20
> added :-S ?
> What has gone wrong and how can I 'reclaim' the free space?

There could be a process which has an open filehandle to this file. The=20
file isn't deleted until all filehandles are closed.=20

Try to install /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof and look for the open handle. E.g.

lsof | grep <filename> =20

Kill the process and the freespace should grow. If this doesn't work=20
or there is no open handle try do go to single user mode an force an=20
fsck on this fielsystem.=20

Bye
        Estartu
=20
Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu@augusta.de          |  on request
Germany            |                                    |

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--