Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:22:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
Cc:        Adauto Souza <adauto@df.ufpe.br>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Don wrote:

> > I've tried to install both FreeBSD and OpenBSD but
> > I face problems with the BIOS. Indeed the machines
> > have Alpha BIOS instead SRM.
> FreeBSD does not yet support booting from AlphaBIOS.
> The FreeBSD Alpha team is working on a solution for this problem but until
> they come up with something like MILO for you need to be using the SRM
> firmware. I dont know if the 164LX has SRM available for it but you would
> have to check DEC's site or the archives for that one.

There is an SRM for the 164LX.  I don't think its available in the newer
firmware releases but I have a copy from around v5.0.  There isn't enough
flash space to have both SRM and AlphaBIOS loaded at the same time, so
switching is painful.  Apart from that it works quite well.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com