Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Hovemeyer" <daveho@rstcorp.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   building an NFS server

Howdy,

The company I work for is going to buy a PC to serve as an NFS
(and Samba) server for about 40 workstations and PCs.  We're planning
on using FreeBSD as the server's OS.  The approximate hardware
configuration we have in mind is:

- P6, 200 MHz
- 64MB RAM
- Ultra Wide SCSI
- 4GB SCSI hard drive
- 100BaseTx ethernet

I am interested in recommendations on what hardware to use,
especially for the motherboard, SCSI controller, and network
card.  Stability, performance, and compatability with FreeBSD are
the main concerns.  I would also be interested in hearing
recommendations for vendors, especially those who could offer a
complete system.

Also: are there any NFS-related issues that we should expect by
using FreeBSD as the NFS server?  We have a variety of client
OS's, including SunOS 4.1.x, Solaris 2.x, IRIX, and HP-UX.
For example, does FreeBSD support NFS locking?

Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks,
Dave
--
David Hovemeyer                                   daveho@rstcorp.com