Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:37:09 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>, database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Yani Brankov wrote:
>
> > Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> >

> > > It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql.  It is
> > > speed he's emphasizing.
> > >

> > Yes. It's much stronger on features, but (i heard, never tried it) mysql
> > doesn't have commit/rollback command. It's a very big disadvantage.
>
> 	The last time this was discussed on the PostgreSQL lists, the
> argument went that mySQL can't call itself a true RDBMS because it doesn't
> support one thing that was considered to be *crucial* to any
> RBDMS...transactions
>
> 	Whether this is still true or not, I don't know, since I don't use
> MySQL...

>From the version 3.21.29 documentation:

* 18.8 Some things we don't have any plans to do.
*
*        Transactions with rollback (we mainly do selects, and because we
*        don't do transactions we can be much quicker on everything else).
*        We will support some kind of atomic operations on multiple tables
*        though. Currently atomic operations can be done with LOCK
*        TABLES/UNLOCK TABLES but we will make this more automatic in the
*        future.

How much of a problem this is depends on how many threads are going  to be
trying to get at the tables at once.

Andrew McNaughton