Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:39:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Federico Rossi <rossi@ibm.isten.ing.unipg.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing problem

> Federico Rossi wrote:
>
> I recentely installed FreeBSD on a PII processor machine (64MB) with
> a completely dedicated HD.
> The installation media was ftp. I followed the installation
> procedure which is suggested for novice users. Every installation
> step was correct (I think); I downloaded also X-windows basic files,
> but when I tried to reboot the system it prompted:
> panic: cannot mount root.
> I tried to repeat the installation procedure many times, but the
> result was always the same:
> panic: cannot mount root.
>
> What may I do ?

This error is explained in the FAQ. Go to www.freebsd.org, follow the
FAQ link, then section 2.25 (I think)

HTH

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com