Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:27:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Peculiar(?) slowdown with -CURRENT as of 21 March

On a 0 - 10 "weirdness" scale, this ranks about a 4, perhaps, so it's
hardly earth-shattering.  But it's odd enough that I thought that a
small reality check might be in order, in case the effect(s) in question
were not expected.  (And yes, I understand that a degree of uncertainty
with respect to -CURRENT's performance is to be expected, even at the
best of times.  This is not a complaint.)

Briefly, my SMP "build machine" built today's -CURRENT (while running
yesterday's -- hence the Subject:) much more slowly than my laptop did.

To illustrate, here are the timestamp messages from the respective
kernel builds:

>>> Kernel build for FREEBEAST started on Fri Mar 22 07:59:58 PST 2002
>>> Kernel build for FREEBEAST completed on Fri Mar 22 08:24:19 PST 2002

>>> Kernel build for LAPTOP_30W started on Fri Mar 22 08:09:25 PST 2002
>>> Kernel build for LAPTOP_30W completed on Fri Mar 22 08:26:31 PST 2002

So that's not a huge difference in and of itself -- 24:21 vs. 17:06 --
but what really stands out is that the laptop actually finished the whole
morning's processing before the build machine did.  And that's somewhat
remarkable, given that:

* build machine got a bit of a head start (though it did have a little
  bit more work to do in one respect).

* build machine is 2x866 MHz P3s; laptop is a 750 MHz P3.

* laptop disk is 4500 RPM; build machine's disk is probably 5400 --
  certainly no slower than that.

I don't really want to spam the entire list with the details of the
processes used, so I cobbled up a page at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/speed.html that should
have enough excruciating details for anyone sufficiently interested.

Thanks,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.