Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:12:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      home@jukkis.net
To:        Matt Jibson <dolmant@dolmant.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NVidia Drivers Released !

On 09-Nov-2002 Matt Jibson wrote:
>> I *can* use nvidia drivers *without* glx at the moment, if i try glx it
>> just hangs in nvidia screen
>
> I had a problem with various AGP configuration settings which would cause X
> hang when I started it up.  I never tried not loading glx.  Hence, this might
> be the same problem.  In any case I'm running the drivers now, and they seem
> fine.  To get it to work without hanging I did this:
> 1) compiled "device agp" into my kernel (or kldload agp, whatever)
> 2) applied this diff to src/nv-freebsd.h:
> 134c134
> < #undef USE_OS_AGP_GART
> ---
>> #define USE_OS_AGP_GART
> (which basically turns on FreeBSD's gart, and turns off the nvid gart)
> 3) in my XF86Config under the device section:
> Option "NvAgp" "3"

Thank you, and thanks to Matthew Dodd, Christian Zander and Andy Ritger!!

In other words, it's working here with glx now. and working quite well, would
I dare to say :)

What I did:
0. I had USER_LDT and device agp in my kernel already.
1. commented out the Load glx line in module section, so X didn't hang during
the testing
2. set Option "NvAgp" "2" in device section, so I'd see when it really uses the
freebsd agpgart
when I had it set to 3, it silently falled back to nvidia gart:
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
then I set it to 2, and i got
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: n/a
3. reinstalled linux_base, updated XFree from ports to 4.2.1
Actually, I installed pretty much everything that I figured might help:
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-libraries
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-FontServer
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-PrintServer
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-VirtualFramebufferServer

I had some problems with XFree86-4-clients, I had to link the following before
it installed ok:
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/exports/include/freetype2 ->
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/extras/freetype2/include

4. changed that line 134 in nv-freebsd.h to #define from #undef
5. rebuilt/installed the nvidia driver with make setup
6. all that got freebsd agp working:
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: freebsd (agp.ko)
7. re-enabled the load glx line in module section in XF86Config

And tested with /usr/ports/x11-fm/fsv, which didn't work earlier - that is
working perfectly now. Also, my tvcard does fullscreen nicely, better than
earlier with nv, and vty's are working, before I got that glx loading ok,
trying to change to console with ctrl-alt-F1 just hung the pc.

I tested mplayer -vo gl, that wasn't so successful, it was really slow and I
had to kill it with kill -9, mplayer -vo gl2 locked the pc so hard that
keyboard stopped responding.
But that's not important, now I have to test what unreal tournament for linux
does :)

Anyways, I'm one happy nvidia/freebsd user now :)