Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:25:33 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Werner Lehmann" <elvis69@arcor.de>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM does not start anymore in gnome2.18

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 03:36:17 -0500, Werner Lehmann <elvis69@arcor.de>
wrote:

> Hi Mezz,
>
> I found the problem myself:
>
> It's in the "/usr/local/share/gnome/gdm/defaults.conf" file, which
> replaces the "gdm. conf" now (see gnome.org/projects/gdm). In there all
> the paths that refer to "X" point to "/usr/X11R6/bin/X", which is wrong
> now with xorg7.2. So I modified all paths in defaults.conf to
> "/usr/local/bin/X" and now it works fine.
> A "dmesg -a" showed me this before: "gdm_server_spawn: Xserver not
> found: /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit..."
> That's how I got the first idea what was wrong.
>
> As I said, I did a fresh install of all from the 6-stable packages, this
> means that the gdm-package (and maybe other packages as well?) are not
> properly compiled for use with the new xorg 7.2, although gnome2.18
> installs the new xorg as a dependency.

When you did a fresh installation of xorg, you still should run the
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh script. But, you have found a real
bug that mergebase.sh (symlink of /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local) made it blind.

> You need to report this to the packages-people, please.

Actually, gnome@FreeBSD.org is maintaining for gdm, so it's our job to do
it. ;-) I have committed a fix in ports tree with bump. Thanks for report!

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)