Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 02:34:10 -0800
From:      Dennis Gilbert <dennis@portals.pdx.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netboot code not booting from EPROM on WD/SMC cards.

Hi all,

 Maybe someone can see through this wall I'm running into.  I'm trying to
get the netboot code to run on SMC/WD Network cards off EPROM, but am having
no luck.  Here is a brief rundown of the facts:

 o  OS version is FreeBSD 2.1.0R
 o  The nb8390.com boots fine, comes up diskless with no problems from DOS.
 o  The EPROMs are Intel 27C128 (16k).
 o  The same EPROMS work fine in NE2000 based cards (nb8390.rom has both
      the WD and NE options set).
 o  The NIC cards I've been using are WD8003EP and SMC Elite16.
 o  The NIC cards are configured for 16k ROMS.
 o  The NIC cards are jumpered for ROM address 0xd8000.
 o  DOS debug shows all 0xff at 0xd8000 ( d d800:0000 -> FF FF FF FF ... ).
    For some reason the NIC does not seem to be address decoding for the
    ROM memory range.
 o  The netboot Makefile has WD_DEFAULT_MEM set at 0xd0000.
 o  The machine boots directly from disk after the POST with no messages.
 o  The PC is a 486DX66 with 8Mb of RAM, all shadow ROM disabled.

Dennis Gilbert -- Dir. of Network Operations /  Dennis.Gilbert@portals.pdx.edu
PORTALS (Portland Area Library System)  / Tel (503)725-3361, Fax (503)725-4625
         PGP Key available via "finger dennis@portals.pdx.edu"