Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 1996 22:27:39 +0100
From:      Sven Brandenburg <sven@algieba.ts.rz.tu-bs.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   O si o [sound question]

Hi..

And now it is time again to present THE LAME QUESTION :)

I have configured my soundcard(s), got rplayd running and everything is
running fine. Apart from the fact that I cannot *pursue* my box to play
16 bit samples. Why?
Playing 8bit,8kHz .au files with rplay or (well..) `cat sample.au >
/dev/audio` sounds perfect (As far as 8bit can be perfect) but trying 16
bit samples I get /&%$§"!.
Trying to force rplayd to use 16bit I discovered that the sound device
is never set to 16 bit.
(I recompiled my kernel with some "enhancement": it now reports when the
sound device is set to either 8 or 16 bit).
Why?
I must be missing something obvious and would appreciate any opinion
(even a bang on the head). If it helps I would post my configuration.

Thanks in advance,
Sven

--
I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your company.

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night`s Dream, 1596