Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 22:22:15 -0500
From:      Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
To:        Max Goof <max@underdog.maxie.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

>> I was wondering about load balancing several lines?  For example,
>> if I could load balance two POTS lines with 28.8 modems, I could
>> have the bandwidth of single ISDN at a fraction of the cost.  With
>> four lines I could have bonded ISDN performance, again at a fraction
>> of the cost.
>
>A few points you might want to consider here, based on how we are set up...
>
>	At least in our area, two normal phone lines would cost only $3
>less than we pay for flat-rate ISDN (About $55 a month).

Unfortunately, this is an anomaly when it comes to ISDN rates :-(

Residential ISDN for the Bell Atlantic region is approx $30/month plus $0.01
per minute per B channel.  That's off-peak, which I believe goes until 7pm.
Peak rates are $0.02/minute/B channel.  No flat rate option.  But POTS
service is $24/month unmetered.  Boy, those analog modems sure do look
good, don't they? :-)

I hear PacBell wants to get rid of it's unmetered off-peak rate.  I think
I've also heard about one of the GTE's wanting to up their ISDN rates as
well.

Right now, I'm hoping for cable modems.  Not because I expect the cable
company to actually have a worthwile service (they're too stupid for that),
but I am hoping the competition will drive down ISDN prices.

--Ken