Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:52:54 -0500
From:      "Matt White" <MWhite@madriver.k12.oh.us>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>, <armin@metzelkueche.tabu.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Re: Fast/reliable SMP hardware

Armin;

We have a server here with the Tyan Thunder 2510 board. It uses the =
ServerWorks LE chipset (not the HE), but I can tell you that I have been =
extremely pleased with it. Ours has 1GB of RAM, and only a single hard =
drive on the SCSI chain.

It's lightning fast, and very stable.

- Matt

>>> Armin Ollig <armin@metzelkueche.tabu.uni-bonn.de> 03/07/01 11:04AM >>>
Gentlemen,=20

iam about to buy hardware for a FreeBSD file server.
I dont understand much of all those fancy chipset names, however i thought
either an asus  CUV4X-DLS (VIA chipset) or a tyan  Thunder HEsl (S2567)
may work well. Question is are they  fully supported, are there better
boards for FreeBSD ? The primary use will be file service (about 20 disks
attached (IDE and SCSI), network connection via gigabit.=20

Thanks for your suggestions !

--Armin