Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 23:04:48 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, will@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors trying to build JX-1.5.3 and CodeCrusader

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:41:10PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I saw your updates to the make files and tried to make JX-1.5.3. I
> > cd'ed into x11-toolkits/jx to do the make. I can basically reproduce
> > the build errors by doing a make clean and then tell it to do a make.
> > In the past, I tried starting with CodeCrusader and doing the make
> > there. That was never even close to being successful. I could get a
> > working version of jcc by building the pieces manually but the port
> > system wasn't working.
>
>         I know, this nice toolkit has an ugly layout for
> "portification"-wise speaking. Can I get away by saying that?
> Enough jokes.
>
> > The current make has errors at various places and the first one I saw
> > was the following:
>
> [elided]
>
> > The next one stopped the make and the error messages are the
> > following:
> >

> [elided]
>
> > gmake[1]: *** [code/JACETemplates.o] Error 1
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/jx/work/JX-1.5.3/libjcore'
> > gmake: *** [libs] Error 2
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/jx.
> > *** Error code 1
>
>         Unfortunaly, I'll give you the worst tech support answer.
> I can't reproduce your problem. I've just been able to rebuilt my
> jx port cleanly. I am sorry.

It isn't the first time I've heard that. My usual response is that
Murphy decided a long time ago to let me find things like this. I've
gotten so that I joke that if there are 2+ problems in a product, I
will encounter one of them :).

> ---
>         I'll repeat to you a drill I've heard a million
> times on this list. I call it the can't build it blues.
> It goes something like this:
>
>         1) Are you absolutely using the latest cvsup tree?
> Cvsup then, cvsup often. The ports tree is also maintained
> for the latest available FreeBSD, not old branch releases
> as 3. Some ports might work but there is no implied
> guarantee.

I cvsup'ed ports until I got your recent mods to the make files before
I started this exercise. Then I started my builds.

>         2) Can you check the installed version on your system of
> the following ports? jx depends on them.
>
>         autoconf-2.13
>         bison-1.28
>         gmake-3.79.1
>         libtool-1.3.4_1
>         png-1.0.8_1

autoconf-2.13       Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms
bison-1.28          A parser generator from FSF, (mostly) compatible
with Yacc
gmake-3.79.1        GNU version of 'make' utility
libtool-1.3.4_1     Generic shared library support script
png-1.0.8_1         Library for manipulating PNG images

There was some confusion here. I had done some "make deinstall and
make reinstall"'s but that left a confused pkg_db. I went through and
deleted all of the duplicates. I also rm -rf'ed x11-tookits/jx and
devel/codecrusader. My version of CodeCrusade went back to the old
style package, which would build on my system just fine. I may have
had some garbage left around. I finally bought into your new structure
and decided it was time to make it work. I'm not totally dedicated
since I have two machines with the old structure still on them :).

For starters, I have a full version of ACE on my system, which the
codecrusader system is supposed to support, and so I have an
environmental variable for ACE_ROOT. I didn't have that at first and
was seeing the same errors. It still comes down to the templates and
errors off. The 2nd make also dies and I captured it. It is available
at http://dsl1-160.dynacom.net/codecrusade.txt

Next, I removed the ACE_ROOT environmental, did a make clean in
codecrusader and jx, and cd'ed back to codecrusader and did a make. I
am capturing that as http://dsl1-160.dynacom.net/codecrusader.msgs.
One of the recurring sets of error messages when you make CodeCrusader
are the following:

===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for code_crusader-2.1.4_1
===>  Configuring for code_crusader-2.1.4_1
===>  Building for code_crusader-2.1.4_1
cd: can't cd to ACE/ACE_wrappers
makemake: invalid path -I../../include/jcore
makemake: invalid path -I../../include/jx
makemake: invalid path -I../../include/jtree
makemake: invalid path -I../../include/jtoolbar
makemake: invalid path -I../../include/menu_image
and etc.

Even with what appear to be serious error messages I now have a
version of Codecrusader based on your port.

When it cd's into some of the directories, it claims there is nothing
to do, which means to me the "make clean" of the first build didn't
completely work and there is cruft left behind.

>         It also needs an installed XFree86 installation. I am
> using the latest XFree86-4.0.1_1 version, but it shouldn't
> make a difference whether you use either 3 or 4 version.

I'm using 3.3.6.

>         3) One thing I noticed was that you were using compiler
> optimizations. After you have checked that you are using the latest
> version of the aforementioned ports. You could try to rebuild jx
> without any /etc/make.conf optimizations. I do build mine with
> optimizations but it is not guaranteed that any optimizations
> other than -O will be safe.

I dropped everything but the -O.

> ---
>
>         I know I might be sounding insentitive to your problem but
> I need to be sure you have an absolutely clean installation. If
> this is indeed a general problem, you can be sure I am the one of
> the most interested parties in both proofing it off the port and
> helping you out.

It is now. Nothing was left of jx/ and codecrusader/ when I started.

>         Even if this is a problem particular to your system, I
> would be glad to try helping you find it.

I can capture a compete build and leave it on my server. That way we
don't crude up the list. The upload side of my DSL isn't great but it
is 128kb. The file containing the full set of build messages is only
249KB.

Kent

>         However, in the oftly even that my system is the odd event
> meaning: it is building a port that won't build anywhere else.
> Could someone on the list build the jx port for a cross check?
>         will? sobomax? (I know I am abusing, but could you guys?)
>         By the way, is there a specific committer provision (place)
> to build ports when in need of additional crosscheck?
>
> --
> Mario S. F. Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
> lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )
> flames to beloved devnull@someotherworldbeloworabove.org

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com