Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:47:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Diamler - benz research center india pvt ltd <dbrci@giasbg01.vsnl.net.in>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with FreeBSD installation

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Diamler - benz research center india pvt ltd wrote:

> The FreeBSD partition we have further partitioned
> (for the system files) thus,using the disk label
> editor :
>         /       33MB
>         swap    44MB
>         /usr    339MB
>         /var    200MB(approx)

That's a big /var.  Are you planning on handling a lot of mail?  my
systems often have a 50mb /var.

> The steps we followed to this are :
> 1.choose post-configure system after FreeBSD installation
> 2.in the next menu,choose packages.
> 3.in this menu choose all available packages
> 4.in this menu,some ( very few) packages(such as zip,unzip,zoo)
> are already chosen.We tried choosing all,but the
> installation failed(*) for all except ones that were
> already chosen.

This is a known bug.  Don't install packages using sysinstall; boot your
system, mount the cdrom, then use the 'pkg_add' to install packages.

Internet:  dwhite@resnet..uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant