Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:55:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kim Perkins <kperkins@hub.strathcona.vic.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root Password

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Kim Perkins wrote:

> I have a problem with my root password.  I changed the password with
> passwd yesterday, wrote the password down and now I can not log into
> the system as root.  I keep getting a login incorrect
> response.

Oops!

1.  Put -s on the Boot: prompt to drop to single user mode.
2.  Mount / and /usr.
3.  Use vipw and blank out root's password.
4.  Use passwd and change root's password.
5.  Reboot.
6.  Don't forget your root password.  Don't write it down either; someone
might walk by and decide that a piece of paper with a bunch of letters on
it looks like that machine's root password and try it.