Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Scott MacFiggen <smurf@csua.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Matthew Stein <matt@bdd.net>, Scott MacFiggen <smurf@csua.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NExGen chip Nx586-100

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Scott MacFiggen wrote:

> >>That's correct.  The NexGen nx586 IS a 386 compatible chip, with an FPU,
> >>and performance comparible to a Pentium.  We run a couple of them that
> >>regularly outpace similar pentiums.  If you compile your kernel for a 386,
> >>you'll have no problems.
> >
> >>From the part number I don't think Scott got an Nx586 with FPU. Make sure
> >you build your kernel with FPU emulator included.
> >
> >Box-stock FreeBSD-2.1R runs perfectly on my non-FPU PCI-90 NexGen, "make
> >world" in under 5-1/2 hours. Scott may have other problems.
>
> I did get the FPU version so that is not a problem.
> The problem is that I had a 486-50 so my
> kernel is currently configured for a 486 hence it
> won't boot on a 386 it seems. Moslty I was asking
> if FreeBSD had a patch to recognize the chip as a Nexgen
> chip instead of a 386. But since the NExgen chip doesn't
> support Pentuim microcode, it doesn't seem to matter.
> Although I d know Linux has a patch to let it take advantage of
> nexgens cache on steriods, does FreeBSD have something similar?
> I guess it is time to download boot floppies so
> I can fix my kernel...
>
> 	-Scott

If I recall correctly, the NexGen web site had special code to recognize
the various NexGen CPUs and their speeds.  The only problem is.... we
need someone to implement it... keyword is time.

If Linux has the patch, maybe someone will have the time to "borrow" the
code and implement it in FreeBSD... :-)

----

 -------------------------------> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com/shopping