Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:25:42 -0600
From:      lanehol@bellsouth.net
To:        <newbie@xfree86.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   unable to run xWindows unless I am root

Since I last rebuild XFree86 I am unable to run startx unless I am logged in
as 'root'. How do I fix this?

I get the following error:

XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
Release date: January 8 2000

yadda, yadda, yadda

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions.
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root.

X connction to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Thanks,
lane