Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        topcat@sk.sympatico.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanted: FreeBSD via FTP

> partition. So far so good, even with all the problems up to this
> point! But no windows!  What do I need to get?  I hear
> about 3 items:
>
> 1. X-Server
> 2. X-windows
> 3. Window Manager

	I think it's /XFree86 for XWindows, but I could be wrong about
that, then you also need to get a Windows Manager, AfterStep and FVMN-95
are the two most popular. Both those are ports, so technically once
you've got a working OS and a connection to the net you can just run
/stand/sysinstall to get both of them.

> I can do so and try my install again.  At least
> I am learning, and given the hours I have spent
> so far---I am determined!!!  I am very excited about
> what you said I could do with security, gateways, etc.

	Good! My first install took many hours also! And I had a Core
Team member in person to ask questions of! :)

> I tried about 100 times to get my modem to dial
> up and connect in the install process, but to no avail.
> Guess I don't know the necessary commands to get
> it to dial.  I also tried to connect to my win95

	TIP if the modem is your FreeBSD machine.

> machine via ethernet, but couldn't make it work.
> I am using a 3com Etherlink III 3c509 set at
> 0300 and irq 10. (I can change if so needed)

	Samba is the program you need to connect TO a Win95 machine. It
is also in the ports collection. There have been some issues with the
509x series cards, you'll probally have to download a specific driver for
it. Check the Mail archives on www.freebsd.org for sure on that as it's
been a topic of discussion many times in the last year. :)

> I set my win95 to 10.0.0.1 with 255.0.0.0 and my
> freeBSD machine to 10.0.0.2 with 255.0.0.0 but
> got real confused on domain names, nameservers (I
> don't have one on my LAN!), and path.....
> do I point the freeBSD machine to c:\freeBSD\bin on the win95
> machine??

	You should probally use 255.255.255.1 for that. The 10.0.0.1 is
fine. Technically you really need to use your ISP's name server but
FreeBSD can act as it's own. You've just got to install the nameserver
software. :) Win95 can NOT act as a Nameserver, but NT can. Your Gateway
IP address is the IP address of whatever computer is connected to the
internet. Part of the problem you're running into is that without a
several third party programs, Win95 really is not meant to run as a
packet router like you want it to. Which is partly why I suggested
putting FreeBSD in it's place and putting the 95 machine at the other
end. :)

> That's really I all I want to do.  Get on the net
> without using a Microsoft Operating System,
> yet still be able to connect to my win95 machine
> and share files back and forth.

	If all else fails goto www.cheapbytes.com You can get the FreeBSD
CDROM for about $9US. For what you're doing and how you're doing it'd be
a good idea. Either way you'll eventually want to buy the Full Set w/Book
at www.cdrom.com or from just about any local bookstore. But, keep at it!
Rome wasn't built in a day, nor is a person's first install of a REAL
(TM) operating system. :)

						Rick