Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kirbykb@airnet.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good nameserver system?

> think serving up DNS resolves would be even less taxing.
>
> I am guessing that a p200 could manage a name service for several ten
> thousand DNS requests per day.

If a given machine could serve 1 million+ web hits per day, surely a DNS
server could serve more than that? DNS would seem to me to be far less
taxing than DNS. I seem to remember hearing that Playboy ran one of their
web servers on a 5x86 or a very slow Pentium serving 500k hits a day...

> Mind you, I am just yakking. Search harder for someone who actually has run
> a busy nameserver.

I work for a decent sized ISP. We have 2 nameservers one serves all the
dialup for a significant number of users. The only thing that gets taxed
is RAM. It is running on a P200, but it is also the SMTP/POP3 server, web
server, and Radius server. It does other things as well, but that is the
majority of its work. I don't even think a big newserver benefits all that
much from a super CPU. The biggest bottleneck on a news server is probably
hard drive speed. (Or lack therof)