Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 16:04:11 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Alex Davidson" <alexd@idcomm.com>, "FreeBSD Newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to test my ISP connection

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 11:20:26 -0700, Alex Davidson wrote:

>I now have a ppp.linkup with the following section:
>
>isp:
> delete ALL
> add 0 0 HISADDR
> !bg /etc/ppp/ppp/etherup.isp
>
>Still nothing.

How are you invoking ppp.  You're not using pppd, I hope!
I think you're using ppp -auto -alias isp

Your log indicated that CHAP authentication wasn't happening.  If you
have the appropriate entries in ppp.conf for CHAP, and you using the
correct modem port...

What port is your modem on??  I was pretty sure we got past this part
because your log indicated that you were simply denied CHAP.  Brian
Somers, I believe, maintains the ppp code and he's got a site, I think
it's www.awfulhak.org

See http://www.awfulhak.org/ppp.html
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.