Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 00:14:51 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jerry Dunham wrote:

>> Well, you can.
>
>I remain unconvinced (mostly because I can't figure out how to do it).

:-)

>> Exactly what to press depends on how many vt
>> consoles you have enabled (which is a kernel compile option -
>> take a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT for details).
>
>Never looked there before.  Is it MAXCONS=16?

Yep.

>I thought I only had 12,
>but I'm apparently wrong.  I'd check, but I'm afraid if I get out of this
>X session with <ctl><alt><Fwhatever> I won't be able to get back.

Use an xterm then.

>> Now, the very first entry that describes an "off" tty, or if none
>> are, the one right after the last one, THIS is where the (first)
>> X server is actually running.
>
>It looks like that except for ttyvanything being off.

Doesn't matter. X will use the next available one whether listed
in /etc/ttys or not.

>I'm beginning to wonder if this is what would be required for X
>to work like you say it should.

Nope.

>> So, just like it was a normal tty, you press Alt-Fn (Alt-F5, in
>> the above example), and back comes X.
>
>Nope.  Doesn't happen.  At least not that I can tell.

Did you try? Yes, you have to get out of X. Just try all of
the Alt-Fn keys. G'wan - be daring. :-)

>This also looks to be worth experimenting with.  Thanks for all the help
>and suggestions.  Sorry to be so dense.  Someday this may all make sense.

.. and then you'll come up with anothe prroblem you'll have to
figure out.  Isn't UNIX grand?  :-)

Good luck.
David

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn