Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:09:41 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Marketing (was: Re: IDE Cdrom problems)

Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> writes:
>One of the biggest impediments to more wide spread
>useage is the initial reaction that the new users get.

And, if I may belabor the obvious, developers don't do free development for
systems they don't use.  Users are developers.  Flaming users is flaming
developers.  Anti-user attitudes are anti-developer attitudes.

And, just browsing through the FreeBSD todo lists, it doesn't look like
FreeBSD is yet at a point where it can afford to be turning away developers.
I consider myself a loyal BSD user (since BSD 4.2), and I make it a point to
buy the Walnut Creek CD-ROMS whenever possible, but my good will toward
the platform had been steadily eroded by the gratuitously abrasive attitudes
of a number of vocal core members, to the point where I'm seriously wondering
whether I'll even want to upgrade to 4.x whenever it's released.  Product
loyalty only goes so far when there are better alternatives at the same price.

	-Michael Robinson