Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:21:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone using ch0/chio for an ADIC FastStor tape changer?

Just received said device yesterday; am trying to test it on a "spare"
machine here.

(That machine had been running -current, but since the target machine
is actually running 2.2.6-RELEASE, I put 2.2.6-R on the spare box, and
am re-building the kernel now; that takes a while on a 33 MHz 486 with
only 8 MB RAM....)

Reason I'm asking is that my preliminary testing indicated that chio
was able to report status of the changer (though it claimed that everything
was in "EXCEPT" status), but it wasn't able to actually move a cartridge
from the drive to a slot.  The chio program issued an ioctl, but the
device apparently doesn't like it.  More details should be available by
the time this message goes out, but I'm starting to take a look at the
code for ch.c so I can better understand what's going on.  I haven't
(yet) requested the programming information for the changer; I suspect
that's likely to be one of my next tasks.

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621