Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 01:39:49 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        sara lidgey <slidgey@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.3, gmirror raid 1, PROBLEM

sara lidgey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  The machine won't boot from either drive connected as a master.  I tried them one at a time.  I'm guessing I'll have to boot from a CD but don't know the process.  Any help is appreciated.
>  Thanks,
>  S.

Hmmm... I can only suggest using a livecd, for instance freesbie. Once
you boot it, fsck(8) file systems on those hard drives. Maybe it's just
some consistency problem.

If you have a spare freebsd box, then you could try mounting those
drives on it and poke around. Or, you could even chuck those drives into
another box (one at a time), boot it up and see what happens (assuming
your kernel is pretty much generic). That is just to rule out busted
components on current box. There must be a proper and better way for
doing this though.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B